Thursday, September 27, 2012

Guess who's EMPLOYED?!?!



Yours truly!!!! It only took 3 days. Heck yes. I have a job. Unfortunately, it is not as the green cab driver or at the Save-A-Lot. I was just thinking about how I wanted to move to the Marlborough region and work on a vineyard. I emailed a lady about an aupair job and she didn't need someone till November, but after looking at my resume she told me I should contact the New Orleans Hotel (ironic eh?) because they were hiring and I had hospitality experience. So I went and talked to the guy today and he offered me a job. I will go in tomorrow to see what he wants and to make sure it's something I want to do. However, we didn't discuss money. Is that important? Here is a link: http://www.neworleanshotel.co.nz/ He is hiring me to be the manager! He needs someone that can run a bar, restaurant, run the hotel and manage the inventory. So it sounds like it will be a lot of work, but it sounds like it will be exciting. He told me he has never met an American that was a bad bartender so he had faith in me. I assured him he would not be disappointed :)

The New Orleans Hotel is in a little town 20 minutes outside of Queenstown in a place called Arrowtown. It's super small. 2000 people. It is beautiful though!! I walked around the little river today and I could see the blue sky and the mountains. It was so peaceful. He knows of a guy that needs a flat mate, so I will meet him tomorrow and hopefully be able to move in this weekend. I am looking forward to getting out of a hostel and having my own room!

I realized after my last post that I have mentioned very little about the scenery, where I was staying, etc. Just the food....imagine that! My first 2 nights I stayed in a hostel right in the middle of Queenstown. It was really really nice and clean. There were 9 red leather couches in the common area, with a pool table and a fire. I had a 6 bed dorm, which is 3 bunkbeds, and we had our own bathroom and shower instead of community, which was nice. Problem is, it was more for someone that wanted to go on a bar crawl every night. No thanks. So I moved a bit outside of the downtown area into a small hostel. It's not quite as nice because it's older, but it is much smaller and quieter. I will stay here until I find a place to live.

I have been borrowing Joe's car, Kermit. He is lime green. Kinda like the taxi I wanted to drive! Driving on the wrong side of the road is kind of fun. I feel like I just turned 16 again and am driving for the first time. However, I still don't really care for driving, so I will probably not get a car. It was really nice to drive back from Arrowtown though as the sun was setting over the mountains. I wanted to take a million pictures on the way home, but figured I would wreck trying to do that. I will eventually get some. The problem here is everything is picture worthy. Everything looks like a postcard. It's pretty unreal. I love the mountains this time of year.

I did make one friend, Mai Lee, she's from Arizona. She was only here for a couple days though so that is the downside of making friends in a hostel. It was very nice though to have someone that I could talk to and relate with, because she felt the same about the party hostel. We took a gondola ride to the top of the mountain and had a glass of wine. The views were incredible and we could see all of Queenstown and across the water and the mountains. It was a little cloudy, but I can only imagine how pretty it would be on a clear night. You can hike up to the top instead of taking the gondola, which I would like to do sometime soon.

I will get pictures up once I can get to wifi for my phone. Ever since I switched my iPhone over to a NZ carrier it freezes my computer when I try to upload the pictures, so I am not sure what that's about. Either way, pictures to come soon! After my first day of work I am sure I will have plenty to say!

Until then....ciao!


4 comments:

  1. Congrats! Managing a hotel is a big step up from your original job aspirations of "work at a coffee shop," "pick grapes," or "work at Micky D's."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a huge job! So proud of you :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad....I had dreams of something so different! After I've been here 2 years I will be a green cab driver

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Congratulations on the hotel manager job! That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete