Monday, January 13, 2014

Merry Christmas and Happy 2014!

The last 6 weeks have been a whirlwind. I knew they would fly by, but I didn't realize how fast they would become the past. I spent a couple of weeks in Blenheim and around the Marlborough Sounds before Russ arrived. We then ventured off on our journey starting at the top of the South Island, making our way down the east coast, across to Arrowtown and then looped along the southern coast and back to Arrowtown. 

Russ' luggage turned into a fiasco when it was lost for 6 days, but he got to extend his flight for a few days, which made up for all the hassle in the end. We spent Christmas in Arrowtown with some friends in the fire brigade. They cooked a fabulous kiwi Christmas dinner and welcomed Russ just like they've done to me. We had a day full of laughter, good wine and good company. 

The holidays are always a time for reflection on what and who to be thankful for. We start setting new goals for the upcoming year and vow it will be the best year yet. With it being my second Christmas in a row away from home it was nice to have Russ here with me. It never felt like Christmas when hearing Jingle Bells on the radio while wearing a tank top, but recreated our Christmas Eve tradition of Mexican with the Schneider/Looney/McGregor family. We made burritos and margaritas and felt like we were there, just in our own way. 

Unfortunately, we had several days of rain throughout Russ' trip.  Rain and New Zealand don't mix well. There's too much beauty that is missed out on in the event of a grey day. We made the most of our trip with highlights being Golden Bay, visiting Breck Pappas in Kaikoura, an overnight cruise through Doubtful Sound and a relaxing night of drinking wine and playing Yahtzee at a friends place in the Catlins. So this year I'm thankful for the opportunity I was given to spend the holidays traveling with my brother.  He might disagree with my highlights though because I have a feeling lugging home 2 23kg suitcases of what I consider necessities took the icing on the cake! 

I spent one last week working like crazy. The first week of January is one of the busiest of the year. I spent the last few days realizing what amazing people I've met during my time in New Zealand. We laughed, cried, reminisced, caused trouble and made the most of what was left of my time. I've usually looked forward to the time to leave, but this time was different. Arrowtown was different. It was the best journey of my life to date.  The scenery was stunning and the people were what kept me there. The kind words that were said to me by so many really proved the value of the friendships I've made with co-workers and locals alike. Arrowtown is a special place for me and I look forward to going back sooner rather than later. There is truly no place like New Zealand. 

I boarded my plane this morning with both sadness and excitement and also the curiosity looming about whether my Australian visa was expired. I was about 99% sure it wasn't, but I took a total risk by just waiting to see. I'm looking forward to what's in store for this next leg of the journey. 

My best friend in NZ, Kirsty, put me in touch with her friend Dan who was leaving to travel through Southeast Asia before heading home to the UK. It turned out that we were on the exact same flight to Australia. We met up and talked about our time in New Zealand and our plans, or lack there of, for Asia. It's always really enjoyable when you meet someone like minded in the way of traveling. It will be nice to have someone to keep up with and meet up with at some point. 

I arrived in Melbourne with a whole day to spend between flights. I went through customs, declared muddy hiking boots, caught up for coffee with Dan and then grabbed a bus to the city for a quick walk around. My last trip to Melbourne marked it as my favorite city in Australia. It's a beautiful city, with amazing architecture, busy streets, good food, attractive men in business suits and excellent shopping. What more could anyone want? Heat? They've got that too. Today is a scorching 41 degrees Celsius.

 I did a great deal of walking around just taking it all in. Once I arrived at Federation Square I sat down to watch the Australian Open, which started yesterday, on the big outdoor screen. When I couldn't take the heat anymore I made my way back to the airport where I know sit writing this instead of wondering about where I will sleep tonight or who I rented a car through. I think I've become a little too lax in some of my plans, but no plans are definitely the best plans when it comes to traveling. 

I'm off to Perth in the next couple of hours and even though I'm not looking forward to the extreme heat, I'm looking forward to the beauty the west coast is known for and visiting my friend Georgie. 

My goals for this year are to quit saying i will become healthier, because we all know I'm a sucker for fast food.  I will quit saying I will get fit and run a marathon because that currently just sounds painful.  I won't promise to read more books, shop less or make life plans. Instead, I will focus on making the most of each day, each place I go and each friend I have or make. I have a feeling 2014 WILL be the best one yet, for so many reasons.

I will be in touch again soon! 

Love to you all, xo

1 comment:

  1. Love it. I like your 2014 goals. It's a big enough goal to take time to cherish each day --- just doing that takes consistent effort! Travel Safe :)

    ReplyDelete