Friday, March 21, 2014

Am I really 28?


I'm lucky I get to celebrate my birthday with my favorite holiday, which means I get to don my favorite color! I am also lucky I got to spend my 28th year of birth on a beach in Cambodia. To some that may sound weird. However, Cambodia has some REALLY beautiful beaches, where it's so breezy I forgot I was laying in the sun. 

I've been traveling with people the entire way that I meet in different hostels, but I knew I was going to be spending my birthday without any of them because I was rushing on to the beach. There was no way I was turning 28 in a dorm room sleeping in a bunk bed. So I splashed out on a beach front bungalow and am so thankful I did. Sihanoukville is a beach you might find in Panama City or something, but just down the road in Otres Beach I felt like I was somewhere along 30A.

I had no intentions of publicly announcing it was my birthday because, well, even for someone like me that's just awkward. However, when I checked in, the English girl, Vicky, pointed out it was my birthday the following day. She told her American boyfriend, Wil, and the party started there. They had planned to go to dinner at a friends place and then go out and invited me along. This friend just so happened to be American and was making pulled pork sandwiches, potato salad and cole slaw. Sold and happy birthday! Along the way they made sure everyone knew it was my birthday, even me in case I forgot, sang to me and made toasts all night. It could have just been more of a reason to celebrate, but they really took me in and made me feel like I was one of their dearest friends. 

Again, people like that are why I LOVE to travel. You may only spend a few days together, maybe even just 12 hours, but when you're traveling you're family. We look out for one another. We see the good in one another. We share similar interests. We have the same desire to see as much of the world as possible. And we have all taken the leap of faith, together, that may seen as crazy, brave or daring. 

I am sitting here lounging in a comfy beach chair, with the sound of waves crashing on shore, the sand between my toes, turquoise water in front of me and the thought of a fresh coconut on my mind. I am reminded of how thankful I am for where I am, what I've got, where I've come from and the friendships I have around the world. Traveling now is harder than it was a few years back. Priorities have changed, who I want to hang out with has changed and the appreciation I have for the places I have seen and the people I meet has changed. I am thankful for 28 wonderful years and have a feeling it will only get better!! 

Cheers to you all! Xo

Ps if you ever make it to Otres Beach, Indigo is your place to stay!!















No comments:

Post a Comment