Monday, March 18, 2013

Family Reunion....around the world



So my grandmothers brother, my dad's uncle and my great uncle....(all the same person)....and his wife just so happened to be in NZ the same time as my parents. We were able to meet them for a coffee on my parents second day here. It was such a cool thing to do. They have been on a trip where they go to lectures and such while they travel. Like my dads post said, they are overachievers, just like my grandmother, my dad and ummmm me? or maybe Russ? Or maybe neither of us? Sorry, Grammie, to inform you that gene didn't get passed down! My dads whole family is from California, so with us being in Alabama we really have never gotten to see them, spend time with them or get to know them. In October of 2011 we all went out to Cali for my grandfathers 80th birthday. I have to admit that I wasn't really looking forward to going that far to hang out with family I didn't know and my grandparents 80 year old friends :) In return, I had THE greatest trip. Not only did we all get to hang out, we sat around one night looking at old pictures...like from the first camera days. I had the best time visiting and story telling with everyone. I saw my grandparents with friends they have had for the last 70 years and it was such a treat. My grandmother is a laugher and is rarely ever unhappy, but I saw her laugh more than I have ever seen her laugh in one weekend. It was very evident that both of their hearts were still in California with their friends and their past. It sounded bizarre when a few months back they said they were moving from Atlanta back to California. What 80 year olds say that? Only cool ones!

Needless to say, spending time with Uncle Scotty and Aunt Kitty was just as much of a treat. They have lived a super interesting life and I admire anyone that has done the travel they have. I think my parents felt it was as exciting to hang out with them as I did, especially all the way around the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment